Blueberry Pie for the Win!

It is closing in on the end of summer vacation, and September 22nd can't get here fast enough with the official start to fall.  However, in my house, the word fall means one thing and one thing only - FOOTBALL SEASON STARTING!

That is our true start to fall in my house, as my husband is the defensive coordinator for one of the biggest and BEST high school football programs in the state of Oklahoma.  I laugh every year because I say "We interrupt this marriage to bring you football season!"  It is so true!  If you know anything about football in the great state of Oklahoma, high school and college games dominate social media with updates and banter back and forth between rivals.

For me, it is a time where I get back in the kitchen again, as the hubby is off working late nights and 7 days a week at the field house, it leaves me to my own imagination in the kitchen.  Plus we work on feeding a football program of 175 plus (yes I said 175)! 

I am bringing you this blueberry pie recipe, as a token to my amazing husband, who loves all things berry!  Even though he is not much of a sweet guy (meaning eating sweets, not that he is not sweet himself), it is the perfect pairing for the end of summer and the beginning of the GridIron!  This is super easy and totally tasty (even if I only got a small piece while the hubs ate the rest of the pie).


Ingredients:
2 Pillsbury frozen pie crusts
1 cup sugar
4 1/2 cups blueberries
1 lemon
5 tablespoons flour
Salt

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Unfold first pie crust and press into a pie dish.
  3. Place blueberries in a strainer and rinse (make sure to pluck off any unwanted stems).
  4. Drain berries and add to large bowl.
  5. Add flour and toss to coat.
  6. Add sugar, a squeeze of lemon and a dash of salt.
  7. Pour berries into pie shell.
  8. Cut other pie crust into 1" strips (I used a pastry cutter which gives the lattice a prettier look).
  9. Place strips on top of crust in criss-cross pattern to form a lattice.
  10. Using your fingers press in the edges of the pie crust to seal in the bottom pie crust with the lattice pieces.
  11. Bake 45-60 minutes or until bubbly.
  12. Serve by itself (as my husband does) or with a side of your favorite ice cream
  13. YOUR WELCOME!
See photos below of the process
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pickle Cupcakes - April Cupcake of the Month

Stubbs Hatch Chile Chicken - Crock Pot