Homemade Ravioli's - Part 2

Happy National Margarita Day!

Dunt Dunt Dunnnnn!  It is time to attempt to make ravioli noodles from scratch, in this part two blog post.  I posted yesterday the yummy filling that we will be using to assemble the ravioli's, so refer back to yesterday's post for the recipe.

I have never made homemade noodles, but you all have read by now that I absolutely LOVE pasta.  My husband is very well aware of this, and that is why, starting three years ago, he bought me several pasta attachments for my Kitchen Aide mixer (which I now feel I need the commercial size one with how often I use it).  It has literally been three years and I just now pulled the first attachment out of the box.  I think I was a little scared at attempting this, and for the amount of time it takes to make them, but it was totally worth it.



It wasn't a total success, as I lost 1/4 of my noodles because I did not use Semolina which prevents the noodles from sticking to one another.  Instead I thought that wax paper would be a possible substitute, I WAS WRONG!  I also am going to have to work on integrating the egg mixture into the flour because my volcano OVERFLOWED!  Things to work on, and it wasn't perfect, but they turned out great in the end!

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg mixed with 1 teaspoon water (eggwash)
1 Alton Brown Ravioli Stuffing Recipe (previous blog post)
Semolina for dusting

Directions for dough:

  1. On a clean surface make a well with the flour.
  2. In a measuring cup mix the eggs, water and oil and salt.
  3. Pour the wet mixture slowly into the flour and mix with your 2 fingers until all of the wet is incorporated.
  4. Do not force the dough to take all of the flour (it will come out too dry)
  5. Roll dough into a disk and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour
Directions for rolling out the dough:
  1. Cut the disk into three parts.
  2. Flatten out the dough into a rectangle.
  3. With your flat sheet attachment on your Kitchen Aide Mixer, turn notch to 1.
  4. Run the dough through the attachment one time and then fold the dough in half.
  5. Run the dough through the attachment on level 1 6 more times repeating the folding in half after each run through.
  6. From there, turn the attachment level up one level each time you run the pasta dough through the machine until you reach level 6. That will be the last time you will run that dough through the roller.
  7. Lay the long rolled dough flat on your working station (and sprinkle the dough with Semolina so the noodles will not stick.
  8. Repeat the steps with the remainder of the pasta dough
  9. Once rolled, cut the pasta into 6"x6" squares using a pastry cutter
Assembling the Ravioli:
  1. Lay one pre-cut pasta sheet down.
  2. Using a tablespoon of filling, add to the middle of the pasta sheet.
  3. With your egg wash, brush around the filling and place the remaining square on top.
  4. Press down around the seal to push out any air bubbles.
  5. Using a ruffled pastry cutter, cut off edges to make a prettier designed ravioli.
Preparing the Ravioli:
  1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a rapid boil.
  2. In batches (5 at a time) drop the ravioli's into the water and boil for 10 minutes.
  3. Remove Ravioli's from water and place in a bowl
  4. Repeat steps above until all Ravioli's are cooked.
  5. Add your choice of sauce (I used a Prego Vodka Sauce) or make your own to a saucepan to heat through.
  6. Add the Ravioli's to sauce and toss.
  7. Serve with Parmesan cheese and fresh chopped parsley (or I sprinkled dried parsley flakes).











It's more fun in the kitchen with my little helper










My little taste tester!

Success - She Loved It - Clean Plate

The work was worth it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pickle Cupcakes - April Cupcake of the Month

Stubbs Hatch Chile Chicken - Crock Pot

Blueberry Pie for the Win!